Shortlist announced for parliamentary precinct in Ottawa
Tenderstream members compete in contest for Canadian government complex
The Government of Canada has announced the teams through to the second stage of a design contest to redevelop a building complex in the country’s parliamentary precinct. Tenderstream members Wilkinson Eyre and Bjarke Ingels Group (BIG) are in teams shortlisted by the competition jury for the project, which is located in front of the main parliament building in Ottawa, ON.
The Block 2 site has an approximate area of 9,800 sq m and currently consists of eleven buildings. The goal of the competition is to provide a cohesive design solution and to redevelop the site into an efficient complex, providing accommodation for the Senate of Canada and the House of Commons, with branch space for the Library of Parliament, as well as some retail presence on the historically-significant Sparks Street Mall.
The shortlist is as follows:
• Diamond Schmitt Architects (Toronto, Canada) in joint venture with Bjarke Ingels Group (New York, United States), KWC Architects (Ottawa, Canada) and ERA Architects (Toronto, Canada)
• NEUF Architects (Ottawa, Canada) in joint venture with Renzo Piano Building Workshop (Paris, France)
• Provencher Roy + Associés Architectes Inc. (Montréal, Canada)
• Watson MacEwen Teramura Architects (Ottawa, Canada) in joint venture with Behnisch Architekten (Boston, United States)
• Wilkinson Eyre (London, United Kingdom) in association with IDEA Inc. (Ottawa, Canada)
• Zeidler Architecture Inc. (Toronto, Canada) in association with David Chipperfield Architects (London, United Kingdom)
As part of stage 2 of the competition, the short-listed competitors will submit an advanced design concept, continuing work from stage 1. At the end of this stage, the jury will evaluate all submissions received and recommend the first, second and third place teams.
Tenderstream Head of Research
This tender was first published by Tenderstream on 23.12.2020 here