Tenderstream members compete in £1bn innovation district contest
Oxford University reveals shortlist for 190 ha mixed-use masterplan
Tenderstream members Mecanoo, Grimshaw and Alison Brooks Architects are among the competing teams shortlisted for the masterplan of a new £1bn innovation district at Begbrooke, UK. Oxford University Development has revealed the five teams proceeding to the second stage of the competition to find master planners for its 190-hectare site. As well as providing a new setting for the University's world-leading science and innovation ventures, the development will also host a community of up to 2,000 homes, with new schools, a public park and a nature reserve.
The shortlist is as follows:
• Allies and Morrison with Mecanoo; Gort Scott; DK-CM; Hargreaves Jones; BuroHappold; Systematica; HR&A
• Carlo Ratti Associati with Outcomist; Martha Schwartz Partners; Ove Arup & Partners; Studio 20-20; Groupwork Architects; Tsuruta Architects; Theatrum Mundi; Fabienne Nicholas; Mobility in Chain; Soundings; Indeed Innovation
• Grimshaw with Hoare Lea; BuroHappold; Logika Consultants; McGregor Coxall; Jas Bhalla Architects; Openstudio Architects; XCO2
• Hawkins\Brown with OKRA; BuroHappold and C:Lab; RCKa; Ooze; Ecological Land Cooperative; Wordsearch Place
• Prior + Partners with The Place Bureau; Alison Brooks Architects; Wilkinson Eyre Architects; dRMM; Gillespies; Spacehub; Ramboll; Stantec; Hoare Lea; Keith Orlesky; Philipp Bouteiller; Pooran Desai; Transition by Design; Transsolar; Usman Haque; Jonathan Rose Companies
OUD’s aspiration is to create a boundary-pushing scheme that achieves a step-change in sustainable design, delivery, and operation. The research facilities at the new district will help address key global challenges facing humanity - from food security and biodiversity to climate change and the urgent need to move to a zero-carbon economy.
Anna Strongman, CEO of Oxford University Development, stated: “We were inspired by the high quality of the entries and excited by the potential of Begbroke outlined by the teams. Practices and collaborations grasped the challenge of creating a place of world leading research alongside a community calling Begbroke home. We look forward to engaging with the short-listed teams to explore ideas further in stage 2.’’
Explore the Tenderstream archive here